Bunker obersalzberg. History of the Obersalzberg, Hitler's Mountain

Berchtesgaden

Bunker obersalzberg

Most of the hills on which the town was built had tunnels beneath them these are mostly inaccessible today. If you go down the stairs on the far right of the parking lot, near the bus stop for the Eagle's Nest, you will see the field and the road leading to both the Kempinski and Türken Hotels. A good place to start is the Documentation Center. The left driveway has become a small path that leads to the Berghof ruins. On the left is a corridor on the lowest level, giving access to the machinegun positions on the level above. When Henriette von Schirach spoke to Hitler about the deportation of Jews during a visit in 1943, according to contemporary witness statements, she was no longer invited to the Berghof. It was not the officials of the Third Reich who survived in the bunker complex during the British air raid on Obersalzberg on April 25, 1945, but over 1,000 workers.

Next

Bunker System

Bunker obersalzberg

Hitler dedicated the second volume of Mein Kampf to him. After the house ruins were removed in the early 1950s, this concrete bunker remained on the site until it was removed in 2002 for construction of the hotel currently on the site. Whilst Hitler only entered the lift about ten times the numbers vary between five and thirteen times because the trips to the eagle's Nest were considered too time-consuming and risky for him, he was particularly concerned that the elevator shaft was not safe against lightning strikes and he would have been left vulnerable to a surprise attack by the Allied bombers. The treaty of non aggression with the Russian minister Molotov was devised up here. Manufactured by the Leonhard Moll concrete company of Munich, according to there were at least twenty-seven of these concrete shelters for the guard force in the Obersalzberg area. For Hitler, the Obersalzberg was a retreat from the demands of the ministerial bureaucracy, a place with- out self-important bureaucrats who constantly disturbed his bohemian lifestyle.

Next

Bunker

Bunker obersalzberg

Click to browse an updated listing of the changes taken place on the Obersalzberg in recent years. The remains of the drive that once swept up to the front of the Berghof. Archiv Ingrid Scharfenberg; used by permission Adjacent to the foot of the stairway from the Platterhof hotel basement was an unfinished emergency exit. And the promise of not going to war made to Prime Minister Chamberlain, a big lie to the British and the rest of the world, was signed here. The rooms, like this, that run off a massive central corridor, were designed to be used by Nazi Party officials housed in the Hoher Göll Guesthouse above. A machinegun position may also have been planned in this area. Today: Only the foundations of the greenhouse are still there.

Next

Berchtesgaden

Bunker obersalzberg

We are look ing forward to your visit. They even took the cobble stones were the Führer had walked as reminder back home. But then thunder arose, and the dogs, thirsty for blood, turned against king Watzmann and tore him and his family apart. Buses to Hitler's Eagle's Nest The bus for the Eagle's Nest leaves from the Obersalzberg. Orders were given to excavate the mountain.

Next

Hotel

Bunker obersalzberg

This trail was popular in the early-mid 1930s with hikers who wanted to see Hitler's Berghof - it was even published on period tourism maps. Some maps indicate that this was planned to connect to Bormann's own system or to the adjacent anti-aircraft defense complex, while others show it connecting to the tunnel system near the , for the Hintereck and Klaushöhe settlements. They were all heavily bombed in March 1945, plundered by Allied troops, burned, and later destroyed by the post-war German government. During renovation, a tunnel system was discovered underneath the hotel which connected to the bunkers constructed in 1943. The photo on the right is a different view of the ventilation room, showing the steps at left leading down to the Unterstollen. Bormann invited Hitler into the windowless room beyond the doors — an elevator with walls of polished brass, mirrors, and upholstered chairs. This photo was taken from a location just below the site of the Berghof picture window.

Next

Bunker System

Bunker obersalzberg

Quote: This view of the ruins of Landhaus Göring shows the site in the early 1950s, before the ruïns were razed. These three 1945 photos show the Moll-System bunker that guarded access to the Berghof along the path coming from the Gästehaus, at the west end of the Berghof Adjutancy building, and another one at the edge of the grass lawn in front of the Adjutancy building. The British Lancasters devastated the Obersalzberg, damaging or destroying many of the Nazi properties. The photo below shows the wooden staircase in use in the late 1940s or early 1950s. The Guesthouse was used to house senior visiting dignitaries, and latterly was taken over by Martin Bormann as offices. The company sat in easy chairs around the round table, with Eva Braun and one of the other ladies again at Hitler's side.

Next